More independents put their names forward for Huntingdon election
- Credit: Archant
Five more independents have put their names forward to stand in the Huntingdon Town Council election in May.
Jennifer Sarabia, who is currently on the town council, announced her intention earlier this month to leave the Conservative group after 12 years and stand as an independent.
Since the councillor’s call to arms, she has been joined by Scott Hutchison of Huntingdon Drama Club, life-long Huntingdon resident Margaret Meredith, Edd Welsh from Commemoration Hall, Guy Makey who owns Niche Comics in High Street and Peter Clark, trustee of the Commemoration Hall, pictured.
Mr Hutchison said: “Having attended the meeting of the finance committee on the Commemoration Hall, I was thinking about standing. When I realised others were doing the same, I thought that the time is right.
“I have not been involved with politics before, but this is not about politics. It is another way of serving the community. You don’t need to be involved in politics to represent your community at this level.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sarabia added: “I am truly delighted and very excited by this development. It is really heart-warming to realise that there are other people out there who feel the same about the community and town.
“We do not need political parties telling us what to do. We need people whose first responsibility is to the people and not a party.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
INFORMATION: If you are interested in standing as an independent councillor in Huntingdon, email email@example.com.