‘Momentous day’ as new A14 upgrade route is revealed
- Credit: Archant
An improved junction at Brampton is the main adaptation the Highways Agency has made to the upgraded A14.
Officials revealed the latest design of the 22-mile route between Ellington and Milton on Monday at the launch of a 10-week public consultation.
Highways says the proposed layout will mean the higher-trafficked A1(M) will be further away from Brampton and blocked by the A14 route.
Other changes from the scheme put forward in last year’s public consultation include improved junctions at Swavesey, Bar Hill and Girton. A local access road will be dual carriageway between Fen Drayton and Swavesey, where traffic will be split between the new local road, which will travel to Cambridge, or a three-lane A14.
The A14 will be further improved between Bar Hill and Girton where the current three lanes will have an additional lane.
Councillor Jason Ablewhite, executive leader of Huntingdonshire District Council, said: “Today is a momentous day in the journey we find ourselves on. We have lobbied Government and Number 10 [Downing Street] very hard to get this moving forward.
“Everyone in Huntingdonshire has to get behind the scheme. The scheme will unlock hundreds of millions of pounds worth of potential growth in Huntingdonshire which is the fastest growing district in the fastest growing county.”
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 7 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
INFORMATION: To take part in the consultation, visit www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon-improvement-scheme.