Men who were 'suffocating' inside lorry rescued at Brampton Hut
- Credit: CAMBS POLICE
Officers from Cambridgeshire police rescued three men from inside a refrigerated lorry yesterday (February 17).
The men called police to say they were in the back of the lorry and were suffocating and struggling to breathe.
A hunt for the vehicle was launched and the lorry, believed to have travelled from France, was found at Brampton Hut services just before 4.30pm by officers from the BCH Roads Policing Unit.
The three men were safe and not injured, and their welfare will now be handled by the immigration services.
"Stories like this may be distressing, but highlight that slavery and trafficking are real and police need the public's help," said Cambs police today (Thursday, February 18).
Warning signs to look out for, particularly at service stations or lay-bys, include:
- People emerging from a lorry or HGV, especially suddenly or as if in a rush not to be seen
- Hearing banging from the inside of a lorry – always call us on 999, especially if the lorry is refrigerated
- A group of people heading towards, or going inside of, the back of a lorry
- If anything about the vehicle doesn’t seem quite right – for example if produce is being thrown from it or something is being done to catch the attention of other motorists
- 1 Plans for 120 homes on field next to former animal testing site in Houghton
- 2 Huntingdon firm's oldest employee looking forward to new normal
- 3 Man with learning disability raises money for Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 4 Kings and Queens feature in Kimbolton's history
- 5 Charitable efforts in Kimbolton turn 'pain into positivity'
- 6 From The Archives: A story of our relationship with pubs
- 7 Police arrest 13 people, seize guns and more than £200k of drugs
- 8 Outrage as racist graffiti is daubed on Huntingdon restaurant
- 9 Tribute to ‘inspirational ‘ teacher and family man Dan King
- 10 Village Focus: Brampton 'a fabulous village to live in'
Anyone who sees any of the above is urged to call police on 999 immediately and take a note of the vehicle registration number, even if it has foreign plates.
For more information about human trafficking or modern slavery, including how to report concerns and more warning signs to look out for, visit the force’s dedicated web page: https://bit.ly/3u806sL