Men charged in connection with death of Sam Mechelewski appear in court
- Credit: Archant
Two men who have been charged with the murder of Sam Mechelewski have appeared in court today (Wednesday).
Two men who have been charged with the murder of Sam Mechelewski have appeared in Court today (Wednesday).
Jordan Shepherd, aged 23, from Mayfly Close in Chatteris, and Ashley White, aged 20, from West End, in Brampton, were both charged with murder yesterday (Tuesday) evening and appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court.
Shepherd, appeared first, wearing a grey jumper, and he only spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address.
White then appeared in the dock, wearing a black jumper. He spoke to confirm his name address and date of birth, and became emotional when the charges were discussed in court. He spoke briefly to family and then left the dock.
White was also charged with possession of cannabis, which was found on him on June 11, the day of his arrest.
He pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis and was given a six-month conditional discharged to run alongside the murder charge as well as having to pay a £20 victim’s surcharge.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 6 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 7 Huntingdonshire History Festival returns this summer
- 8 More roads should come under 20mph scheme, say councillors
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
Shephard and White, who were arrested on Monday and charged with Mr Mechelewski’s murder yesterday, were remanded into custody to appear at a later date.
A man in his late teens, from Huntingdon, who was also arrested on Monday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder has been released on bail until July 10.
The body of 20-year-old Mr Mechelewski, was found by a member of the public at about 1pm on February 1 in a wooded area of Hinchingbrooke Country Park. A post mortem revealed he died as the result of a stab wound.