Memorial service to celebrate the life of former St Neots councillor hailed as “champion of the town”
- Credit: Archant
The funeral of former St Neots town councillor Steve Van de Kerkhove (pictured left) will take place at Bedford Crematorium on February 10.
A memorial service is also being held at St Mary’s Church in Eaton Socon on March 2 at 2pm for anyone who wishes to join Mr Van de Kerkhove’s family for a celebration of his life.
Mr Van de Kerkhove, who was aged 44, died on January 17 at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, following a long battle with cancer after he was diagnosed with Burkitt’s Lymphoma last May.
Warm tributes have been paid to Mr Van de Kerkhove, a well respected member of St Neots Town Council and Huntingdonshire District Council, who has been described as a “champion for the town”.
Chairman of St Neots Town Council, James Corley told The Hunts Post: “He was straightforward and honest and had a great sense of fair play and was a very principled man.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Van de Kerkhove’s family have asked for family flowers only at the funeral, but donations are welcome and will be divided between The Lymphona Association and the upkeep of Sudbury Meadows in St Neots, which his family say is a “place he loved and was very dear to him”.
Mr Van de Kerkhove leaves parents Anne and Mike, sister Heidi, nephew Josh and niece Francesca.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced