Mayor welcomes new TK Maxx store to Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Fashion firm TK Maxx has opened its new store in Huntingdon - and there was a flood of customers from the off.
Mayor of Huntingdon Cllr Jay Dyne, who took part in the opening ceremony with mayoress Cllr Sonia Dyne, welcomed the firm to the town, saying it brought new jobs and would act as a further attraction for shoppers.
The discount clothing and homeware store is the latest to open in the new development at Chequers Court and is the firm’s first branch in the district.
It has joined the recently-opened M&S Foodhall and Next as the main retail attractions in the development and has recruited around 45 members of staff.
Cllr Jay Dyne said: “I think it is amazing that these stores have come to Huntingdon - it can only improve the town and TK Maxx has never been here before.
“It is also good that they have recruited their staff from the Huntingdon area. It has brought good job opportunities as well as being another attraction to bring people in to the town.”
A queue built up outside the store as shoppers waited for the doors to open.
- 1 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 2 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 5 Ramsey students crowned winners in science competition
- 6 Home of the Week
- 7 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 8 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 9 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball
- 10 Lack of dentists in Cambridgeshire sees people pulling their own teeth
The new shopping development, which has been on the cards for a number of years following the demolition of 1960s shops, offices and an underground car park at the rear of the Chequers Court shopping area.
It is the second phase of development, coming after the scheme based around the Sainsbury’s store.