WATCH: Boy who celebrates his tenth birthday today completes back garden marathon for NHS
- Credit: Ian Porter
Ben Porter has been running laps of his garden every day.
Ben Porter, from Little Paxton, was inspired to run after hearing about Captain Tom Moore’s fundraising effort
He ran 53 circuits a day in his back garden, which equates to a marathon distance.
Ben completed his 1000th lap today (May 5), which is his 10th birthday.
He set an original target of £300 to raise for Hinchingbrooke Hospital but has exceeded his target and raised more than £1,000.
“I wanted to do something for charity like Tom Moore did and help to make the virus go away.
“I chose to raise money for Hinchingbrooke Hospital as my nana was cared for there for two months when she had sepsis.
- 1 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 8 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates
“Also, I was born at Hinchingbrooke as well as my older brother Jack, who is 12.”
Ian Porter, Ben’s dad said: “Taking on this charity challenge was all Ben’s idea - after being inspired by Captain Tom Moore, we are so proud of him.”
Caroline Walker, chief executive of North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Hinchingbrooke Hospital, said: “Ben’s pledge to help our hospital is very thoughtful and we really appreciate such fantastic support.
“It is wonderful to know he has taken his inspiration from Captain Tom Moore.
“I look forward to hearing how the challenge is going and I would like to wish Ben a fantastic 10th birthday.
“I look forward to meeting him soon.”
Ben plans to visit Hinchingbrooke with his parents to present his donation when lockdown restrictions are lifted.
To donate please visit Ben’s just giving page: go to: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-porter1000