Man ‘fortunate’ not to have killed bystander in pursuit

Huntingdon Magistrates Court,

Huntingdon Magistrates Court, - Credit: Archant

A 20-year-old motorist who was ‘fortunate to not have seriously injured or killed anyone’ has been sentenced to a year in prison after a high-speed police pursuit through Huntingdonshire.

Callum Foster appeared at Huntingdon Crown Count last Thursday facing five charges including driving dangerously and possession of a class A drug.

Foster was also charged with driving under the influence of drugs, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

He was driving a Ford Focus erratically, in Huntingdon, when he was spotted at around 2am, on April 23, by police who ran a check on the car and found that the MOT had expired.

Martin Blair, prosecuting, told the court that police followed Foster through Brampton as he was driving at speeds of between 70 to 80mph, in 30 to 50mph zones.

The pursuit then reached the A1 where he increased his speed to 100mph and, at times, Foster was “on the wrong side of the road”.

The court heard that Foster, of George Alcott Way, in Peterborough, then exited the A1 where he overtook a HGV on the slip road to the A15 Yaxley Road.

Most Read

He was finally stopped when a stinger was used to puncture his tyres and he crashed into a hedge before fleeing the scene.

When stopped, Foster was found to be five times over the drug drive limit and tested positive for cannabis. Officers also found that Foster was in possession of a small quantity of heroin.

James Earle, defending, argued that due Foster’s ADHD he has a lack of “awareness of risk” and that when he stops taking medication for his health issues, which he was originally given in prison, he “gets himself into trouble”.

Foster appeared in court on crutches which Mr Earle told the court that he had been knocked off of his bike.

He said: “Mr Foster is a young man and until that accident he had a job and appeared to be making progress - with hopefully a bright future in front of him.”

In sentencing Mr Argyle said that “it was prolonged, deliberate and bad driving.

“It is a wonder and only just good fortune that you didn’t cause serious injury and that no one was killed.”

Foster was sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders’ institution for dangerous driving which will run concurrently with a three months sentence for driving under the influence of drugs and another month for possession of heroin and was told to pay prosecution costs of £345.

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and was ordered to take an extended driving test before his license is reinstated.