Man aged 87 arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead at Poppyfields care home in St Neots
- Credit: Archant
An 87-year-old man was still being questioned by police yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon on suspicion of murdering a woman in her eighties.
Police were called to the Poppyfields care home in Chapman Way, Eynesbury, just after 5pm on Monday night after concerns were raised about a man and woman, believed to be husband and wife, who were tenants at the facility. An ambulance was called to the care home, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital where he received treatment but he was then arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to Parkside Police Station in Cambridge where he remains in custody.
Cambridgeshire police have launched an investigation and confirmed that a post mortem examination was due to be held late on Tuesday afternoon. They were unable to confirm the identity of the woman as no formal identification has been carried out.
The care home is managed by the Hanover Housing Association, but day-to-day care for the 34-bed facility is provided by Cambridgeshire County Council.
A spokesman for Hanover told The Hunts Post that the news had been “deeply shocking” and staff were supporting police with the investigation.
In a statement, the company said: “Obviously the incident yesterday is deeply shocking. We don’t know all the circumstances and are working with the authorities while they carry out their investigations. Our sympathies are very much with the family and friends of those involved.”
- 1 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
Police hope to be in a position to name the dead woman today (Wednesday).