Man aged 87 arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead at Poppyfields care home in St Neots
- Credit: Archant
An 87-year-old man was still being questioned by police yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon on suspicion of murdering a woman in her eighties.
Police were called to the Poppyfields care home in Chapman Way, Eynesbury, just after 5pm on Monday night after concerns were raised about a man and woman, believed to be husband and wife, who were tenants at the facility. An ambulance was called to the care home, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital where he received treatment but he was then arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to Parkside Police Station in Cambridge where he remains in custody.
Cambridgeshire police have launched an investigation and confirmed that a post mortem examination was due to be held late on Tuesday afternoon. They were unable to confirm the identity of the woman as no formal identification has been carried out.
The care home is managed by the Hanover Housing Association, but day-to-day care for the 34-bed facility is provided by Cambridgeshire County Council.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Hanover told The Hunts Post that the news had been “deeply shocking” and staff were supporting police with the investigation.
In a statement, the company said: “Obviously the incident yesterday is deeply shocking. We don’t know all the circumstances and are working with the authorities while they carry out their investigations. Our sympathies are very much with the family and friends of those involved.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Police hope to be in a position to name the dead woman today (Wednesday).