Lucky escape for family after house fire takes hold in Hilton
- Credit: Archant
A fire which took hold at a house in Hilton sparked into life after a pile of books was left too close to a lamp bulb.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Huntingdon and St Ives were called to High Street at about 2am following reports of a house fire.
A spoksman for the fire service said: “Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property.
“The cause of the fire was accidental; a lamp bulb was too close to combustible materials, namely books, causing them to heat up and catch fire.”
Firefighters remained at the scene until 3.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Crew commander Dan Heathcote, of Huntingdon red watch, said: “The smoke alarms in this property sounded, which alerted the residents and enabled them to get out and call the fire service. Had smoke alarms not have been fitted or working, the fire would have been much more developed, potentially causing much more damage.
“Firefighters were able to put the fire out, which was on the ground floor, in the early stages of its growth meaning the fire damage was confined to the room of origin.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k