Litter Picking Lou will be out and about in Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
A new refuse vehicle in Huntingdonshire District Council’s fleet has been named after a local youngster who does his best to keep the community clean and tidy.
The truck will now be known as “Litter Picking Lou” as a tribute to Lou Curtin who took part in the naming ceremony with Faith Haddox, who came up with the name.
Lou was also presented with a gold litter picker to mark his hard work helping the environment.
Cllr Marge Beuttell, executive councillor for operations and environment, said: “Congratulations to Faith for winning our competition and putting forward the name of Litter Picking Lou. Also, a thank you to Lou for his hard work and commitment.
“The new vehicle will be out and about collecting recycling from homes in Huntingdonshire from this week, be sure to keep an eye out for it.”
The council took delivery of three new refuse vehicles for its fleet this summer and decided to hold the naming competition for one of the trucks to thank residents for their support during the pandemic.
It received more than 300 suggestions from residents, reduced to a shortlist of 10, before the final selection of Faith’s “Litter Picking Lou” was made.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 6 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 7 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
- 8 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 9 All aboard! St Neots father and son to tackle London underground for charity
- 10 Social club can extend opening hours as 'no evidence' of problems
She chose the name as a tribute to Lou, a litter picking star who helps keep the town litter free despite his age.