Kimbolton man dies after reaction to bee sting

A MAN rushed to hospital last week suffering a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting has died.

A MAN rushed to hospital last week suffering a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting has died.

Mel Whitehead collapsed at Kimbolton School on Tuesday last week (July 20) and was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital in a critical condition. He died on Saturday.

Mr Whitehead, in his 60s, had been walking with his wife Dee in the school grounds, where he had worked as a groundsman for more than 15 years.

He retired in October last year to spend more time with his wife, although he had continued to do part-time work at the school.

Stephen Oliver, finance bursar at Kimbolton School, said: “The entire school community and the village were devastated to learn of Mel’s death.

“Mel had worked for the school for over 15 years and was very much part of the community.

Most Read

“Prior to joining Kimbolton, Mel had worked for over 20 years at Cambridgeshire County Council, working at other schools in the area in a number of grounds department roles. He was a cheerful individual, who was always happy to help out and go out of his way to do things for people.

“Mel had recently taken early retirement to spend more time with Dee – they were very much in love. Clearly our thoughts are with Dee and her family at this difficult time.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter