Jury finds Huntingdon man guilty of rape and false imprisonment


- Credit: Getty Images/Creatas RF

A HUNTINGDON man has been convicted of holding a young woman hostage after raping her at knifepoint.

George Kibet denied raping his victim at his home in Nene Road on September 18 but a jury yesterday (Tuesday) ended two days of deliberations with a guilty verdict on two counts of rape and one of false imprisonment.

Kibet, the court was told, met the woman, who he said was aged “around 22” outside Polish Taste in St Benedict’s Court before drinking in Castle Hill Park and the Market Inn pub. The pair went to his home after stopping at Sapley shops to buy cider and cigarettes.

A trial lasting five days at Huntingdon Crown Court heard that Kibet raped his victim at knifepoint on a mattress on the floor of a bedroom at his home.

In an interview the day after the incident, the woman told officers: “There was only a mattress on the floor. We sat down and drank and smoked. He was then really cold and then aggressive. I was saying that I wanted to go and get out.

“He appeared to be holding a pen knife in his hand. I don’t know where he got it from. I laid back on the mattress because I was told he was going to stab me or something. I was so traumatised I couldn’t do anything.”

The jury was played a recording of the victim’s 999 call. She told the operator that Kibet wouldn’t let her out and at one point during the call claimed he picked up a metal bar and threatened her with it.

Most Read

After 35 minutes of being asked by the victim and the police operator to release the woman, the 24-year-old defendant let her out of the flat and she was eventually found by a police officer at the Christian Centre, also in Nene Road.

The jury retired at Friday lunchtime and shortly after lunch yesterday delivered the guilty verdicts.

Det Con Andy Macdonald said: “Kibet is a dangerous offender who effectively held this woman captive and raped her at knifepoint.

“It must have been a terrifying ordeal for the victim who showed great bravery to call police for help and then ultimately give evidence against Kibet at court.”

Kibet will be sentenced in April.