North West Cambridgeshire MP Shailesh Vara is promoted to minister of state
- Credit: Archant
North West Cambridgeshire MP Shailesh Vara has been promoted to Minister of State for Northern Ireland by Prime Minister Theresa May.
Mr Vara had already been serving as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State in the department since January.
One of his duties will be to ensure there is no hard border with Ireland as a result of the Brexit decision.
Mr Vara said: “I am of course very pleased with the promotion.
“The work in Northern Ireland is hugely important, especially as we leave the European Union, ensuring there is no hard border with Ireland.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Vara has previously served as a justice minister, a minister in the Department for Work and Pensions and as a government whip. He became an MP in 2005.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 6 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick