Jail for driver who caused fatal collision at Hilton
- Credit: Archant
A driver caused a fatal collision after swerving into an oncoming vehicle having failed to see a queue of traffic in front of him.
Panayot Georgiev was driving a white Ford Transit van in Lattenbury Hill, near Hilton, on the A1198, at about 1.30pm on September 15 when he approached the stationary traffic.
Cambridge Crown Court heard Georgiev, 27, swerved and crashed head-on into a black Volkswagen Golf.
An officer in an unmarked police car witnessed the crash and immediately called for assistance before attempting to provide first aid.
Paramedics arrived shortly afterwards and pronounced a passenger in the Golf, Marion Seymour, 81, dead at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The driver of the Volkswagen was taken to hospital with serious injuries. Four days later Georgiev was arrested.
At court yesterday (December 6) Georgiev, of Mowbray Road, Cambridge, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and was jailed for eight months.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
PC Nick Brooks said: “This incident highlights the potentially fatal consequences of driving without due care and attention.
“Although Georgiev was not breaking the speed limit, he did not allow himself adequate time and distance to stop, with tragic consequences.”