Jail for health care assistant who started relationship with vulnerable patient
- Credit: Archant
A health care assistant who abused his position of trust to begin a relationship with one of his patients has been jailed.
Stephen Ray, 26, of Ramsey Road, St Ives, was working at Ida Darwin Hospital in Fulbourn last year when he was found asleep in bed with a female patient at her home.
The incident was reported to staff at the hospital and Ray was arrested in March, last year.
An investigation revealed the pair had exchanged numerous messages on Facebook before Ray visited the girl’s home and stayed the night in her room.
Ray was charged with sexual activity with a girl aged 13 to 15 on January 8. He pleaded guilty at Cambridge Crown Court on March 22.
He was sentenced today (May 5) and received 40 months imprisonment. Ray has also been put on the Sex Offenders Register and a Sexual Harm Prevention Order prevents him having contact with people under the age of 16.
Detective Constable Helen Tebbit said: “This case has had a significant impact on the victim and her family. Ray knew the victim was extremely vulnerable yet chose to drive to her home and sexually assault her.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
“Ray was a trusted member of staff working with the most vulnerable of young people. His actions are at odds with the great work that the staff at the Darwin Hospital do on a daily basis.”