Immersion heater warning after Huntingdon house fire

Damaged water tank.

Damaged water tank. - Credit: Archant

A senior firefighter has warned of the danger of leaving immersion heaters switched on after a fire in Huntingdon.

Firefighters were called to Nene Road at 11.30am yesterday (Wednesday) and found an empty water tank that was smouldering.

Watch Commander Rob Cowling said: “We arrived to find damage to the tank and the surrounding insulation, as well as clothing that was being stored above the tank. This shows the importance of disconnecting any electrical equipment no longer in use.

“The occupant, who was asleep in the property, was alerted by a smoke alarm that was installed by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service. We would urge all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms installed and that they test them regularly.”

INFORMATION: To find out if you are eligible for a free home fire safety check, call 0800 9179994.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter