Illuminated boat parade in St Ives featured Disney characters
- Credit: Archant
An illuminated boat parade in St Ives on Saturday has been described as “a spectacular evening” by organisers.
"The weather was good, if a bit chilly, and the crowds turned out en-masse to enjoy this spectacular evening," said Gilly Jackson.
The Disney-themed event began with talented young vocalist Emily Welling who sang a range of Disney classics from a boat moored on the River Great Ouse, finishing with Let It Go from the Frozen.
Stilt walker Mad Dominic kept the crowds amused by circling boats.
Then at dusk the illuminated boats began their parade from Nobles Field, under the historic town bridge, along passed the crowds on the Quay and up to the Harrison Way Bridge before turning for their return journey. Each boat was greeted by its own theme music and commentary.
You may also want to watch:
"And what a fantastic line up of illuminated boats, including Dumbo, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Cinderella, Aladdin, Snow White, and later Disney productions of Up, Mary Poppins and Pirates of the Caribbean. They were all there. And to finish a fabulous firework finale," added Gilly.
"This was a marvellous free community event for the town, involving many community groups in support. It was organised by not-for-profit group Festival Events St Ives (FESt), with help from members of GOBA, and sponsored by St Ives Town Council and local businesses.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
And the winning boat, as chosen by the applause from onlookers, was Dumbo, with his flexible trunk and illuminated flapping ears."