Huntingdonshire ex-soldier faces jail after sexually assaulting girl aged 12
- Credit: Archant
A FORMER soldier faces jail after admitting sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl and two counts of grooming.
Wayne Redman, of Beauchamp Close, Eaton Socon, appeared at Peterborough Crown Court on Friday (April 19).
Prosecuting, John Farmer said Redman, 34, who had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, had pursued a course of conduct in which it was plain he intended to proceed to sexual intercourse.
The matter came to light fortuitously, he said, when the victim’s mother stumbled across her daughter’s Facebook account containing conversations with Redman, who was serving in Afghanistan at the time.
Mr Farmer said: “His ambition to have sexual intercourse with her was frustrated by chance when the young girl left her Facebook account unprotected. Her mother found it and obviously, very properly, started the chain of events that brings the case here.”
Among 270 pages of conversations from Facebook, the court heard how Redman had told the girl he loved her and would kill himself if he lost her.
Redman made frequent requests to know what underwear she was wearing, told her he wanted to make her pregnant and suggested they run away together.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 5 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
He also implied that he had sent pictures of himself naked to her, said Mr Farmer.
Mitigating, Benjamin Long said Redman admitted touching his victim and accepted “full responsibility” and had expressed shame, embarrassment and regret.
Mr Long said the touching had started when Redman, who had been in a relationship that had broken down, and the girl were watching a film together.
Redman was described as having had a “promising career in the armed forces” and had been a bomb disposal officer, completing tours in Northern Ireland and Afghanistan, before being officially discharged an hour before Friday’s (April 19) hearing.
A letter from his former captain referred to him as punctual, having an excellent work ethic, reliable and trustworthy.
The court was also told that Redman had been suffering from depression and was taking anti-depressants. Mr Long concluded: “The defendant wishes to make it clear how incredibly sorry he is to all concerned that this ever took place.” Adjourning the case until Monday, Judge Nic Madge remanded Redman in custody and warned him he faced a custodial sentence.