Huntingdonshire businesses raise hundreds of pounds for Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
There were raffles, games and plenty of red noses as fundraisers celebrated Comic Relief on Friday.
Residents and business across Huntingdonshire joined in the festivities, helping to raise hundreds of pounds for good causes.
Nationwide, the Comic Relief appealed raised more than £73million, with the money going towards initiatives in the UK and overseas.
At Fentex, based in Warboys, staff turned up for the day in fancy dress and held a barbecue as well as a raffle and raised £843.90.
At Oxfam in St Neots, the celebrations took place over two days, with a cake sale, raffle, and plenty of red noses on sale for visitors to the shop.
Siobhan Mills, shop manager, said: “The cake sale raised £180, at 50p a slice that’s a lot of cake. We were absolutely thrilled with the reception we got from customers, the shop was buzzing with happy customers and a lovely smell of chocolate and coffee.”
At Nero Hairdressing, in St Ives, staff donned red noses for the day and also ran a cake stall, raffle, and tombola. In all, the salon raised £385.15.
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 7 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 8 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 9 Old Mill upgrade resumes at Godmanchester
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
Luminus employees raised more than £110 for the cause. Money was raised through a dress down day.
Dr Chan Abraham, Luminus chief executive, said: “Comic Relief has been doing remarkable work in tackling poverty and changing lives, both here in the UK and in other parts of the world.
“It is a great example of what we are trying to encourage in our 2020 Vision: The Road to Renewal – transforming the world where we are for the better – and I commend our staff for generously donating to this cause.”