Huntingdon Town charged for part in mass brawl that forced FA Cup match to be abandoned

Ricky Marheineke, the manager of Huntingdon Town. Picture: Helen Drake

Ricky Marheineke, the manager of Huntingdon Town. Picture: Helen Drake - Credit: Archant

Huntingdon Town Football Club have been charged by the FA following a fight that kicked off during an FA Cup match against Sleaford Town on Saturday.

The FA has charged both teams with failing to control their players and supporters during the game, that was abandoned in the 87th minute after a fight broke out following a coming together between Sleaford’s manager Kris Jones and Huntingdon’s Ollie Medwynter, who was trying to take a throw in.

Russell Yezek, club secretary, said the club would learn its fate on Wednesday (September 25) at a hearing at Northamptonshire FA.

“It could have been worse,” Mr Yezek told The Hunts Post. “We could have been charged with causing the match to be abandoned which would have been much worse.

“The charge has been written up so that there’s not much for us to deny - players and managers were on the pitch - but we will put our side across.

“We are still hopeful that the FA will order a rematch as with eight minutes to go we could have created a goal scoring opportunity in that time - even from the throw.”

Mr Yezek added he didn’t know what a potential fine would be and it would be decided next week.

Most Read

“We have seen the referee’s report and he sits on the fence,” Mr Yezek said. “He notes the throw in as two accidental collisions between the player and the manager.

“It can happen once, but you can’t have two accidental collisions.”

An FA spokesman said: “Sleaford Town and Huntingdon Town have both been charged by The FA following their FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie on Saturday September 14.

“The charge is that both clubs failed to ensure that their players and/or officials and/or supporters conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative and/or violent behaviour.

“Both clubs have until September 24 to respond to the charge.”

Meanwhile, Huntingdon Town threw off any distraction from the previous game to return top of the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division with a 6-2 win over AFC Kempson Rovers at Jubilee Park last night.