Huntingdon to commemorate First World War with Last Day of Peace event
- Credit: Archant
Hinchingbrooke House will provide the backdrop this summer for a special event to commemorate the outbreak of the First World War.
Called The Last Day of Peace, the free event on Sunday, August 3, from 1pm to 5pm, will aim to bring to life the realities of the conflict on the frontline as well as life for those back home.
Organised by Cambridgeshire County Council, The Last Day of Peace will feature re-enactors, music from the era, photographs, documents and letters from Cambridgeshire, Belgium and France as well as displays from St Neots Museum.
The Combat Veteran Players will perform readings of war poet Rupert Brooke’s work, while other readings will include letters to and from the war front.
There will also be expert advice on family history from Cambridgeshire Archives.
You may also want to watch:
Amanda O’Donoghue, who is leading the project at CCC, said: “There will be re-enactments, activities and exhibitions that we hope will make people aware of the contributions Cambridgeshire made to this hugely important milestone in world history.
“Working with partners in the UK, France and Belgium, we’ve been able to create a shared sense of history about the conflict too by sharing images and documents. The event is free and we want people across Cambridgeshire to join us to commemorate the conflict.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 3 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity