Huntingdon Olympic gymnast Louis Smith backs Christmas drink drive campaign
OLYMPIC gymnast Louis Smith is backing Cambridgeshire police’s Christmas drink drive campaign.
The 23-year-old silver and bronze medallist said: “I think Christmas is a great time for everyone to celebrate and spend time with their families and loved ones. For me it’s usually the one time of the year I get to really relax away from the hectic nature of my day-to-day life.
“Drink driving has the potential to be damaging to so many people. It can affect lives forever and take away lives so it’s something I feel so passionately about helping prevent.
“It’s only too clear to see how horrific the consequences can be for anyone implicated by an accident caused by drink driving.
“It’s great that the police will be out and about helping to prevent accidents caused by drink driving but I just want to appeal to everyone especially in the local area to think first before getting in your cars after enjoying a Christmas drink.”
You may also want to watch:
PC Steve Gedny said: “I’m really pleased Louis is supporting our Christmas drink drive campaign, it’s great to have a local celebrity championing the cause.
“I hope our message - there is no excuse for drink driving - reaches as many people as possible.”
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
The campaign is also reminding people about the confidential hotline to report drink drivers and those driving under the influence of drugs.
PC Gedny added: “We know there are people out there who still feel it is acceptable to drive under the influence and there are also people who know who these offenders are.
“They may not feel comfortable reporting drink and drug drivers so the confidential line allows people to do this without having to leave their details.”
INFORMATION: If you have any information about drink or drug drivers call 0800 032 0845 number, which is available at all times.