Huntingdon nurses to become Cavell climbers for charity
- Credit: Archant
Brave nurses are taking on the challenge of a lifetime to climb around 3,000 meters to raise money for charity. Hunt
Carol Evans and Dee Stanford, who work for the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust, will be taking part in an ascent of Mount Edith Cavell in Canada in August to raise money for the Cavell Nurses’ Trust.
“It seemed like a really good thing to do. When the idea was talked about at the Royal College of Nurses I found myself putting my hand up and saying I will do it,” said Carol.
It is hoped that the 70 climbers that are taking on the challenge will be able to raise £1million which will help 300 midwives, nurses and healthcare assistants in need and crisis.
“I have had quite a lot of personal health care issues so for me I wanted to give back to the nurses that have looked after me and my family,” said Dee.
You may also want to watch:
To get ready for the challenge the nurses have been going to the gym, walking everywhere and trying to eat healthy.
Dee added: “We will also be going up three peaks – Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis at the end of July to help us get ready for Canada. I think I am more nervous about the three peaks than Mount Edith Cavell.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The challenge has also been set to commemorate the centenary of Nurse Edith Cavell’s death who the mountain was named after in 1916 following her execution by the Germans in World War One.
To sponsor the pair go to justgiving.com/DeeDee-Stanford or justgiving.com/carol-evans10