Huntingdon mum hopes new headgear will help to correct shape of baby daughter’s head
- Credit: Archant
The family of a baby girl are raising funds to help pay for equipment to correct the uneven shape of her head.
Michaela Dowell, like many babies, was born with an irregular-shaped skull which, in most cases, corrects itself.
But eight months on and with no sign of improvement, mum Jenny Davies, 32 of The Whaddons, Huntingdon, looked into what could be done.
She heard about a corrective helmet, known as a LOCBand, named after its maker, the London Orthotic Consultancy, which has a clinic in Cambridge.
“The NHS does not do it because it cannot say for sure that the helmet will correct it,” said Jenny.
You may also want to watch:
“But once they are a certain age there’s nothing that can be done, so we thought it was worth a try.”
The headgear, which costs nearly £2,000, is worn for just a few hours at first, building up to much longer periods. “It takes about three to four months to work, but can be longer,” said Jenny. “It’s very light, and Michaela naps in it, no problem.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Moving day for Black Cat Radio
To cover some of the cost, about £950, Jenny aims to raise funds by doing a car boot sale at Wood Green, Godmanchester, on March 8. A fundraiser is also planned at the Three Tuns in Huntingdon. Any extra funds will be donated to Headstart4Babies, a charity raising awareness of misshaped skull conditions in babies.
INFORMATION: For more on the charity, visit www.headstart4babies.org.