A 20-year-old man suffered serious burns and lost a finger after a firework exploded in his hand.

Paramedics were called to Wallace Court, in Huntingdon, on Saturday (October 31) after reports that a firework the man was handling had exploded.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said that the man suffered “a significant injury” and paramedics arrived at the incident at 8.41pm.

The spokesman added: “The man was left with significant burns to his hand and has lost one of his fingers and part of another.”

The man was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, to receive treatment for his injuries.

The ambulance service is urging people to take extra care and keep safe when out celebrating at firework displays.