A MAN received minor burns after pouring petrol on a garden fire yesterday.

The man was trying to use the petrol to get a bonfire of garden waste going when it exploded leaving him with minor burns. Firefighters were called to the incident in Lavender Court in Huntingdon at 3.15pm.

They used a hose reel to put out the flames and the man was treated by paramedics.

Brian Ferguson, crew commander at Huntingdon Fire Station, said: "This man was lucky to escape with only minor burns. We would advise residents never to use any accelerants on a bonfire. Not only could they explode causing you serious injury, but they could also cause the fire to spread to nearby trees, vegetation and buildings."