Huntingdon is the most well-read town in the UK, says Amazon
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
We are a town of bookworms, according to recent figures from retail giant Amazon.
Huntingdon has topped the most-well read towns and cities in the UK list, retaining the title of reading capital for the fourth year running.
The town’s favourite books of the last year were Inferno by Dan Brown, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and The Detective’s Daughter by Lesley Thomson. Not only do Huntingdon readers devour print copies, but they also buy more books per capita than anywhere else in the UK.
The top 10 is as follows: Huntingdon, Doncaster, Rochester, Truro, Sevenoaks, Cambridge, Salisbury, Chichester, Newton Abbot, and Spalding.
Doncaster readers are the most ardent consumers of romantic fiction, Truro residents buy the most cook books, and of the UK’s top 10 largest cities, residents of Bristol are the most avid readers, with Manchester second, followed by Glasgow, Edinburgh and Leeds.
You may also want to watch:
For a fourth year running, Cambridge tops the list for buying the most books in the business, law and finance category.
The rankings were determined by compiling sales of all books, magazines, and newspapers in both print and Kindle format since April 1 last year, on a per capita basis, in towns and cities with more than 20,000 residents.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
Jorrit Van der Meulen, vice president of EU Kindle, said: “Our annual most well-read towns and cities list shows that reading continues to be a passion for people up and down the country, and nowhere else more so than in Huntingdon. Our customers are reading more books than ever before, in fact, Kindle owners read four times as many books after they start reading on Kindle than in the twelve months before.”