Huntingdon is the most well-read town in the UK, says Amazon
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
We are a town of bookworms, according to recent figures from retail giant Amazon.
Huntingdon has topped the most-well read towns and cities in the UK list, retaining the title of reading capital for the fourth year running.
The town’s favourite books of the last year were Inferno by Dan Brown, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and The Detective’s Daughter by Lesley Thomson. Not only do Huntingdon readers devour print copies, but they also buy more books per capita than anywhere else in the UK.
The top 10 is as follows: Huntingdon, Doncaster, Rochester, Truro, Sevenoaks, Cambridge, Salisbury, Chichester, Newton Abbot, and Spalding.
Doncaster readers are the most ardent consumers of romantic fiction, Truro residents buy the most cook books, and of the UK’s top 10 largest cities, residents of Bristol are the most avid readers, with Manchester second, followed by Glasgow, Edinburgh and Leeds.
For a fourth year running, Cambridge tops the list for buying the most books in the business, law and finance category.
The rankings were determined by compiling sales of all books, magazines, and newspapers in both print and Kindle format since April 1 last year, on a per capita basis, in towns and cities with more than 20,000 residents.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 3 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 6 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 7 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 8 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 Rush hour rail disruption between Peterborough and London
Jorrit Van der Meulen, vice president of EU Kindle, said: “Our annual most well-read towns and cities list shows that reading continues to be a passion for people up and down the country, and nowhere else more so than in Huntingdon. Our customers are reading more books than ever before, in fact, Kindle owners read four times as many books after they start reading on Kindle than in the twelve months before.”