Huntingdon is Amazon’s reading capital of UK
HUNTINGDON has been named as the most well-read place in the country – beating university cities such as Cambridge and Oxford.
BOOK giant Amazon.co.uk has revealed that the Cambridgeshire market town tops the list with the most books purchased per person of any town or city in the United Kingdom.
The town also buys the most food and drink books and the most children’s books. It comes second in the number of non-fiction books and science fiction books bought.
After compiling data of all book sales in both print and Kindle (digital) format since January 1, 2011, on a per capita basis in towns and cities with more than 20,000 residents, the Top 10 Most Well-Read Towns and Cities in the UK are:
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
•Chichester, West Sussex
•Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
•Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Darren Hardy, books manager at Amazon.co.uk, said: “It seems that Huntingdon is the booklovers’ capital of the UK. With the advent of e-reading and a wealth of great titles being released, books have never been more popular across the whole of the country.”
CONTACT: Are you surprised that Huntingdon is top of the list? When did you last read a book? Get in touch and let us know. You can comment on this story or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org