Huntingdon Gym coach Ben may not be a runner but he’s taking on the London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon Gym coach Ben Howells is hoping to raise £2,000 for two charities by running the London Marathon.
Ben, of Lake Way, Stukeley Meadows, is running for the gym, which he says has been his second home for the last 30 years, as well as the Woodlands Cancer Centre at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, where his father has received treatment for the past six years following three bouts of cancer.
“I’m not a runner by any means and this is a first for me,” he said. “I’m now 38 and with 40 knocking at the door, I have set myself a bucket list and this is the first item. I have managed 19 miles and I keep notching up an extra mile every week.
“I have lived in Huntingdon all my life and I want to give something back. I wanted to support Woodlands for their incredible care of my father for the last six years. I also wanted to support where I work as it is where I have been a gymnast and a coach. I have dedicated myself to the gym.”
Ben wants to complete the marathon in under four hours.
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: To sponsor him, visit www.justgiving.com/Ben-Howells1.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity