Huntingdon driver who caused death of man has ban reduced on appeal
- Credit: Archant
A Huntingdon man who was disqualified from driving for five years has had the length of his ban reduced on appeal.
Jack Mulcahy, of Capulet Court, was originally banned from driving for five years in 2015 after being convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, and was also jailed for four years and three months.
Having been released from prison on licence, the 26-year-old was stopped by police on May 22 as he was driving his girlfriend’s car and was arrested for driving while disqualified.
He was later sentenced at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court to 18 weeks in prison and his license was also revoked.
Appearing at Cambridge Crown Court on July 14, however, Mulcahy appealed the length of the driving ban, which his lawyer said was “excessive”.
You may also want to watch:
Charles Falk, prosecuting, told the court that Mulcahy, driving a white Audi, was spotted by police on the A141 roundabout, heading towards Tower Fields Leisure Park, in Huntingdon.
“The Audi was overtaking on the A141 crossing the double white lines on the opposing carriageway,” Mr Falk said.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Parking spaces so narrow that driver had to climb out the boot!
- 3 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 4 Have you seen Stevie the horse?
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 Petition launched to save school transport for special needs schools
- 7 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 8 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 9 Plea to hold a Macmillan Coffee Morning as sign-ups drop
- 10 Back after Zoom meetings and in fine voice
“Officers were concerned about the manner of the overtaking. At St Peter’s Road, in Huntingdon, they employed the blue lights.”
The court heard that Mulcahy mounted the nearside curb before eventually stopping for police in Tower Fields car park.
“He was subject to a lengthy disqualification that is for a serious offence and having come out of prison without any sort of test he was driving again,” Mr Falk added.
Jason Stevens, in mitigation, said Mulcahy had apologised for his actions and now doesn’t want to drive again.
“This is a young man who has tried to take an opportunity to move beyond it and rehabilitate himself. This sentence recall has been particularly hard on him,” Mr Stevens added.
The length of his custodial sentence was deemed to be sufficient by Recorder Sandeep Kainth but he considered that the length of his driving ban was excessive due to Mulcahy’s age.
Mr Kainth added that by reducing the driving ban to 30 months it would give Mulcahy the opportunity to regain his life.
The 26-year-old was originally jailed at the Old Bailey, in May last year, for four years and three months following the death of Alex Jeffery.
The 21-year-old died after he was struck by a car being driven by Mulcahy. The incident followed an argument between two groups, in Cambridge, in November 2014.