Huntingdon drama group to stage West End’s longest-running musical Les Miserables
- Credit: Archant
It’s a huge milestone for Spotlight Productions so expect a huge show as it celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The Huntingdon-based youth drama group will be bringing a touch of the West End to town next month with its version of the award-winning musical Les Miserables.
The show features a talented young cast of 80 from more than 20 schools as well as a 17 piece semi-professional orchestra.
Les Miserables has played continuously in the West End since October 1985, telling the story of Jean Valjean, a French peasant, and his quest for redemption after serving 19 years in jail for stealing bread for his starving sister’s child.
Valjean decides to break his parole and start a new life after a kindly bishop inspires him with a tremendous act of mercy. But Valjean is relentlessly tracked by police inspector Javert.
Director of Spotlight Productions Graham Wilkinson said: “For Spotlight’s 10th anniversary production, it felt only fitting that we should perform the longest-running musical of all time.
“Since May of last year the group has worked tirelessly to raise money needed to stage the show, and the set, the largest we have ever created, is currently under construction in an aircraft hangar.”
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
INFORMATION: Tickets are on sale. Adults £9.50, concessions £8.50 from www.spotlight-theatre.co.uk or by on 07745 522271. Les Miserables will be staged at the Performing Arts Centre, Hinchingbrooke School, April 8-12 at 7.30pm.