Huntingdon drama group to stage West End’s longest-running musical Les Miserables
- Credit: Archant
It’s a huge milestone for Spotlight Productions so expect a huge show as it celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The Huntingdon-based youth drama group will be bringing a touch of the West End to town next month with its version of the award-winning musical Les Miserables.
The show features a talented young cast of 80 from more than 20 schools as well as a 17 piece semi-professional orchestra.
Les Miserables has played continuously in the West End since October 1985, telling the story of Jean Valjean, a French peasant, and his quest for redemption after serving 19 years in jail for stealing bread for his starving sister’s child.
Valjean decides to break his parole and start a new life after a kindly bishop inspires him with a tremendous act of mercy. But Valjean is relentlessly tracked by police inspector Javert.
Director of Spotlight Productions Graham Wilkinson said: “For Spotlight’s 10th anniversary production, it felt only fitting that we should perform the longest-running musical of all time.
“Since May of last year the group has worked tirelessly to raise money needed to stage the show, and the set, the largest we have ever created, is currently under construction in an aircraft hangar.”
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Roman Crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 7 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 8 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
INFORMATION: Tickets are on sale. Adults £9.50, concessions £8.50 from www.spotlight-theatre.co.uk or by on 07745 522271. Les Miserables will be staged at the Performing Arts Centre, Hinchingbrooke School, April 8-12 at 7.30pm.