Huntingdon charity chosen for DIY SOS-style project
- Credit: Archant
Hunts Post readers have voted for Cornerstone Care in Confidence for a DIY SOS-style makeover.
The charity, which offers counselling to men and women facing unplanned pregnancy or post-abortion stress, has won The Hunts Post and SJS Property Services competition for a facelift by a massive majority, receiving more than 2,500 votes.
It has recently moved to a new home in Trinity Place, Huntingdon, and the building needs a bit of a brightening up.
The other two finalists were Thongsley Fields Primary School’s Breakfast Club (817 votes) and the Commemoration Hall, Huntingdon (695).
Helen Turley, Cornerstone centre manager, said: “I am delighted and excited. We have only recently moved into a new building and we’ve not been able to have an open day yet as it is dreary.
“We want it to be bright. People come in here at their worst moments, they are in a bit of shock. We want the rooms to have a calming effect but not dreary.”
The charity also works by appointment at Hinchingbrooke School and other secondary schools in Huntingdon.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 4 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates