Huntingdon biker sells home to pay for his £30k dream motorcycle
- Credit: Archant
Malcolm Watson, 58, is so dedicated to his highly modified Harley-Davidson motorcycle – which bagged top honours at a custom bike show in St Ives on Sunday, June 21 – that he sold his flat in Huntingdon to finance the project.
Despite the bike having cost him just shy of £30,000 in total he says he will never sell it.
“It’s worth every penny to me. So much work has gone into it. It’s a one-off,” he said. “It’s a comfortable ride and it has plenty of power, if you need it.”
Malcolm, who now lives in rented accommodation in Huntingdon, bought the V-Rod Muscle brand-new just over two years ago and has since spent the same again on the Alien film-themed bike. He spent about a year tracking down all the parts, such as new wheels, seat and exhaust, from every corner of the globe before handing over the bike to Robin Hood Harley-Davidson to transform it.
His Alien bike was named Overall Winner and Best in Show at the Cambridgeshire Chopper Club show at The Seven Wives pub on Ramsey Road in St Ives and also took the runner-up prize at a Mods ‘n’ Rockers show at Hunstanton in Norfolk last year.
Malcolm and Steve Orridge from FG Imagery in Northampton who painted the bike, said that the Renegade wheels imported specially from America reminded them of the extra-terrestrial creatures in the Alien films and used that as inspiration for the paintjob and the overall look of the bike.
“It sounds really good with the new exhaust,” said Malcolm, who admits it does make the bike louder, but says that the neighbours don’t mind. “It makes a nice, soft Harley sound. Wherever I go, people turn to look at it, especially children, and I always give them a wave.”
- 1 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 2 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 3 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 8 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14