Hundreds turn out to enjoy the fun as carnival spirit comes to Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people helped bring the samba spirit from Rio to Huntingdon on Saturday at the first carnival to take place in the town for 14 years.
Crowds lined the streets to watch more than 20 organisations parade through High Street to kick off a busy weekend.
Former mayor and driving force behind the carnival, Councillor Bill Hensley, said: “In the one word the day was exceptional. I am so pleased with how it went
Once the carnival reached Riverside Park more than 3,000 people descended on the showground to enjoy the festivities.”
During the day charities and organisations from the town set up stalls, with the MS Centre selling more than 200 teddy bears to help continue its vital work. There was also a dog show and girls from the Blue Vision Twirlers showed off their skills.
On the Sunday crowds once again filled Riverside Park at Huntingdon Community Radio’s Live in the Park.
Planning will get under way for next year’s carnival tomorrow, with the carnival committee meeting to get things rolling.
- 1 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 2 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Pub regulars celebrate life of former landlord who died during pandemic
- 5 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 8 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 9 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 10 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
“I don’t think the carnival can be any bigger as we were already at capacity on the field but it will be better. I think we can double the amount of groups involved for next year,” added Cllr Hensley.
To get involved e-mail Cllr Hensley on email@example.com.