Hundreds of young runners turn out for Cambridgeshire Cross Country Championships
- Credit: Archant
More than 900 young runners turned out to take part in the Cambridgeshire Primary Schools Cross County Championships held in St Neots.
The event, which took place in Priory Park on April 21, saw 231 teams representing 62 primary schools compete in one of the larges relay races in Cambridgeshire.
The children, aged 9-11 years, competed in races for boys and girls, with the team from Histon and Impington winning the boys race and Kimbolton Prep winning the girls’ race.
Boys and girls teams from Crosshall School, in St Neots, finished second in their respective races.
The organising school, Priory Juniors, entered 11 teams. The boys’ A team (Charlie Clark, Carson Reed, Jaiden Bell, Stanley Dawkes) finished 12th with the girls’ A team (Niamh Baker Crane, Bella Given, Ines Barbosa and Macey Masters) finishing 17th. Priory also finished with the first D and E teams in the boys’ race with the girls D team first in their category.
You may also want to watch:
Race organisers, Kevin Sadler and Linda Wager said: “Many thanks go to this year’s sponsors ‘Luminus’ who provided bottles of water for all competitors, Riverside Runners, Longsands Academy, and the many staff and parents at Priory Junior School this year for their fantastic efforts in officiating and setting up the course on the day.
“An event of this nature does not happen on it’s own and this year it took a real team effort from a huge number of people, who gave their time and expertise to ensure the children had a day to remember. Our thanks go to all those who made this day such a huge success.”
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse