Human skull found in centre of Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
The remains of a human body have been found in the centre of Huntingdon this afternoon.
Archaeologists are due on site after workmen investigating a burst water main at Walden Grove, some two feet from the ring road, discovered a skull three feet in the ground.
It is also believed that more of the skeleton will be found as a spinal column can be seen in the hole.
James Ball, small works manager for Anglian Water, received a call from engineers at about 1pm to tell him about the discovery.
He told The Hunts Post: “They told me they had discovered a human skull. Although nothing surprises me anymore, it is unusual to find a human skull. We normally get calls about animal bones, but this is my first human discovery.
You may also want to watch:
“From what the police officer has told me, it is likely to have been here for some time. I don’t see anyone digging a hole next to the ring road to bury a body and being unnoticed.”
Mr Ball added: “When they built the ring road they would have had to go down quite deep but they wouldn’t dig so deep for a road off of it so missed it then. They would have only just missed it when they were putting in the electrical cabling pipe.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
Last year the skeleton of a baby from the 13th century, thought to be stillborn, was discovered by archaeologists excavating at the Huntingdon Link Road site.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We were called to reports of human remains being discovered at Walden Grove, Huntingdon, at 12.40pm.
“It is not being treated as suspicious and Cambridgeshire County Council’s archaeology department is dealing.”