Human skull found in centre of Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
The remains of a human body have been found in the centre of Huntingdon this afternoon.
Archaeologists are due on site after workmen investigating a burst water main at Walden Grove, some two feet from the ring road, discovered a skull three feet in the ground.
It is also believed that more of the skeleton will be found as a spinal column can be seen in the hole.
James Ball, small works manager for Anglian Water, received a call from engineers at about 1pm to tell him about the discovery.
He told The Hunts Post: “They told me they had discovered a human skull. Although nothing surprises me anymore, it is unusual to find a human skull. We normally get calls about animal bones, but this is my first human discovery.
“From what the police officer has told me, it is likely to have been here for some time. I don’t see anyone digging a hole next to the ring road to bury a body and being unnoticed.”
Mr Ball added: “When they built the ring road they would have had to go down quite deep but they wouldn’t dig so deep for a road off of it so missed it then. They would have only just missed it when they were putting in the electrical cabling pipe.”
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 4 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 7 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Last year the skeleton of a baby from the 13th century, thought to be stillborn, was discovered by archaeologists excavating at the Huntingdon Link Road site.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We were called to reports of human remains being discovered at Walden Grove, Huntingdon, at 12.40pm.
“It is not being treated as suspicious and Cambridgeshire County Council’s archaeology department is dealing.”