Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
- Credit: Archant
Is this impressive 20ft palm tree the biggest in the district? Green-fingered Wyton man Frank Powell thinks it could be.
Eighty-five-year-old Frank never thought that the exotic plant would grow in his garden when he planted it around 18 to 20 years ago – yet now it’s a sight to behold.
“It was only about a foot-tall when I planted it all those years ago,” Frank explained.
“I never thought that it would take, but now it’s ended up looking like this.
“They are difficult to grow in this country with our weather conditions, but this one has done so well.
“Everybody who comes to my house is amazed by it, I usually get the response ‘oh my God I’ve never seen one grow that big before!’
Frank has always been a keen gardener and has even entered a national gardening competition this year.
- 1 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 2 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 7 Could you give these pets a home?
- 8 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
He continued: “Every day I am outside making sure that I maintain the garden, I always enjoy spending time out there.
“I had a gardener come out to clear away some of the bamboo and he said it was the biggest palm tree he had ever seen.
“I thought that it must be something special if a professional gardener said that!
“I’m intrigued to find out if anyone has a palm tree that has grown bigger than this.”
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a similar palm tree.