Housing development in Sawtry is given historical name
- Credit: Bovis Homes
A Sawtry housing development has been given a new name using inspiration from the village’s historic past.
Bovis Homes’ new development off Gidding Road, will be known as Judith Gardens after the name was suggested by one of Vistry Group’s employees, Elaine Mumby.
The newly-formed Vistry Group includes Bovis Homes, Linden Homes and Vistry Partnerships.
Elaine, 35, is assistant site manager at Linden Homes’ Springfields development in Deeping St James, and she decided to look for name ideas when she heard they were needed for the new development.
She said: “I did a bit of research into the history of Sawtry and found out that the village parish is named after Judith of Lens. Judith of Lens was the niece of William the Conqueror, who built her a manor in Sawtry.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought, given the history behind the village, Judith Gardens would make a fitting name. It felt great to have the name I suggested chosen.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k