House fires in Huntingdon and Kimbolton leave one family in hospital
A FAMILY have ended up in hospital while a second family have escaped unharmed thanks to their smoke alarm after both suffered house fires less than 12 hours apart.
A man, woman and child were rushed to hospital suffering burns and smoke inhalation after noticing smoke and discovering a fire in their bedroom at the St John’s Street property, Huntingdon, at 9.30pm yesterday.
The fire is believed to have started when their pet dog knocked over a burning candle. There was no smoke alarm in the home.
The man suffered burns to his chest attempting to put out the flames. The woman and child suffered smoke inhalation. All three were “lucky to be alive,” a Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said.
He continued: “We would urge others to ensure that they have a working smoke alarm fitted in their home to ensure that they have an early warning to a fire and can escape easily and quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“Never attempt to tackle a fire yourself. Buildings and furniture can be replaced, your life cannot.”
Crews returned to their fire station by 11pm after fitting smoke alarms at the property and also at neighbouring homes.
- 1 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 2 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 3 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 4 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 5 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 8 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 9 Hinchingbrooke paediatrician’s relief after getting Covid-19 vaccine
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
In the early hours of this morning, a family in Kimbolton had to evacuate their Newtown Lane home because of a kitchen fire caused by unattended cooking.
They were alerted by a working smoke alarm and closed the door to ensure the flames did not spread.
A service spokesman said: “Never leave cooking unattended and ensure you have a working smoke alarm so that if a fire does occur, you are alerted to it quickly and are able to escape.”