Houghton and Wyton villagers fight to save much loved shop
- Credit: Archant
People in Houghton and Wyton are rallying around to ensure that they don’t lose the village’s last shop and post office services.
It comes, following the announcement earlier this year that David and Margaret Ebdale, who have run the business for 18 years, are to retire and plan to sell the Ye Olde Village Shoppe and post office in The Green.
Mr Ebdale said: “The village is a fantastic place to live with really great community spirit. When we found the shop we just fell in love with it.”
The shop, which has been described as a village hub, was listed as a community asset in December which allows the residents a chance to buy the shop before it goes on the open market.
Since the decision by Huntingdonshire District Council, a steering group has been working to gain support and potential funding to purchase the shop.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a really nice thing and we can’t believe that people want to do this, it is a really positive step,” added Mr Ebdale.
A public meeting is set to take place on Sunday (June 12) that will explore the work carried out by the steering group following a village meeting that was held last month.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
Steering group member Amanda Orchard, of Meadow Lane, said: “The shop is a vital amenity for the village and if it was put in someone else’s hands there is no guarantee that it will stay.
“It is such an important village amenity especially with elderly people, who can’t get far, and particularly busy before and after school, it would be such a shame if this was lost.”
Villagers have until September to decide whether to buy the store before it is put up for sale.
INFO: The Houghton and Wyton Community Shop meeting will take place on Sunday, June 12 from 11am on the Houghton Playing Fields.