Houghton and Wyton villagers fight to save much loved shop
- Credit: Archant
People in Houghton and Wyton are rallying around to ensure that they don’t lose the village’s last shop and post office services.
It comes, following the announcement earlier this year that David and Margaret Ebdale, who have run the business for 18 years, are to retire and plan to sell the Ye Olde Village Shoppe and post office in The Green.
Mr Ebdale said: “The village is a fantastic place to live with really great community spirit. When we found the shop we just fell in love with it.”
The shop, which has been described as a village hub, was listed as a community asset in December which allows the residents a chance to buy the shop before it goes on the open market.
Since the decision by Huntingdonshire District Council, a steering group has been working to gain support and potential funding to purchase the shop.
“This is a really nice thing and we can’t believe that people want to do this, it is a really positive step,” added Mr Ebdale.
A public meeting is set to take place on Sunday (June 12) that will explore the work carried out by the steering group following a village meeting that was held last month.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 5 Beagle puppies freed at MBR Acres after second day of action
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 8 Two lorries crashed on A14 near Spaldwick
- 9 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 10 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
Steering group member Amanda Orchard, of Meadow Lane, said: “The shop is a vital amenity for the village and if it was put in someone else’s hands there is no guarantee that it will stay.
“It is such an important village amenity especially with elderly people, who can’t get far, and particularly busy before and after school, it would be such a shame if this was lost.”
Villagers have until September to decide whether to buy the store before it is put up for sale.
INFO: The Houghton and Wyton Community Shop meeting will take place on Sunday, June 12 from 11am on the Houghton Playing Fields.