Horse rescued after falling in river while on hunt in Great Staughton
- Credit: Archant
Specially trained firefighters rescued a horse which became trapped after falling in a river while on a hunt in Great Staughton.
A crew from St Neots and a crew and rescue vehicle from Huntingdon were called to Kimbolton Road at 12.51pm on Saturday (January 10).
In-water teams and animal rescue specialists hoisted the horse from the river by 2.12pm, and it is believed that it is alive and well.
No other horses or riders were trapped, and crews returned to their stations by 3.20pm.
Group commander Callum Faint said: “This incident was at least a mile from any main road and it is thanks to the public involved that we were able to get our animal rescue equipment to the trapped horse. The riders and others involved provided us with quad bikes and clear directions to navigate the terrain, which undoubtedly meant we were able to get to the horse as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“The horse was very cold and exhausted but thanks to the quick and efficient work by our specially trained crews we were able to get the animal out safely.
“If animal owners ever find themselves in situations like these, we would urge them to call the emergency services as soon as possible to give their animal the best chance of survival. We have specially trained animal rescue teams and equipment, so please, do not attempt a dangerous rescue yourself - instead, call the fire service.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
- 10 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house