Horse racing fan picks a winner with Huntingdon raceday programme marriage proposal
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon Racecourse was the venue for a surprise marriage proposal last month.
Anthony Elliot, 54, proposed to his girlfriend of eight years, Rachel Walton, 42, by slipping the big question into the race day programme on Tuesday, March 31.
The nervous groom-to-be hid the ring in his binoculars, enlisting the help of close friend Deb Anderson to help the operation run smoothly.
Deb was showing her pal, a PA assistant, how the race card worked when Rachel stumbled across an advert with the words ‘will you marry me?’ and her picture across the page.
A shocked Rachel was both tearful and happy at Anthony’s, self confessed “best kept secret”.
The racing enthusiast came up with the idea as an extension of Rachel’s birthday present.
After two months of careful planning, Anthony, a car sales executive, is now the envy of all his single friends whose partners are wanting “an equally nice proposal or to better it”, he said.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
The newly-engaged couple from Stamford, Lincolnshire, have yet to plan the wedding, but are hoping to do it in the summer.