Horse box fire in Godmanchester ‘accidental’

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire in Godmanchester last night.

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire in Godmanchester last night.

Firefighters were called to a track off Silver Street following reports of a horse box on fire at 9.55pm.

Because of the difficulty getting the fire engine down the track, firefighters using an aqua pack, a backpack filled with water with a hose reel attached, to tackle the blaze.

They returned to the station at 10.40pm.


You may also want to watch:


A Cambridgeshire Fire Service spokesman said: “A cigarette can burn up to 920 degrees centigrade when being inhaled. If not stubbed out properly, it can easily start a fire either inside the home, or outside.

“Always make sure you extinguish each cigarette properly after it has been smoked.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter