A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire in Godmanchester last night.

A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire in Godmanchester last night.

Firefighters were called to a track off Silver Street following reports of a horse box on fire at 9.55pm.

Because of the difficulty getting the fire engine down the track, firefighters using an aqua pack, a backpack filled with water with a hose reel attached, to tackle the blaze.

They returned to the station at 10.40pm.

A Cambridgeshire Fire Service spokesman said: "A cigarette can burn up to 920 degrees centigrade when being inhaled. If not stubbed out properly, it can easily start a fire either inside the home, or outside.

"Always make sure you extinguish each cigarette properly after it has been smoked."