Highways England issues driver advice for heatwave
- Credit: Archant
With highs of 34C in Huntingdonshire, Highways England has warned drivers offering advice on how to prepare for journeys in the head.
Forecasts show temperatures are expected to continue to climb, and could reach record-breaking levels by tomorrow (Thursday), with 36C in Huntingdonshire.
There are a number of steps drivers can take to deal with the hot conditions, and Highways England advised drivers to:
- Take a bottle of water with you before setting out to ensure you stay hydrated
- Plan and leave plenty of time for journeys
You may also want to watch:
- Check the weather forecast for your destination
- Check travel conditions before setting out and, where it is safe to do so, during journeys
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- Ensure you and your cars are fit for the journey.
Highways England resilience manager Helen Cook said:"Safety is our top priority and we want all drivers to safely reach their destinations during the expected heatwave. I would urge people to prepare for their journey by stocking up on water, checking their vehicles and assessing travel conditions before they set off."
Further advice and information can be found on the Met Office website at https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/. Highways England will also be providing regular updates on its regional Twitter feeds: @HighwaysNEAST, @HighwaysNWEST, @HighwaysSEAST, @HighwaysSWEST, @HighwaysEAST, @HighwaysEMIDS, @HighwaysWMIDS and @HighwaysYORKS.