High pressure salesmen operating in Cambs, police warn
COLD calling salesmen who use high pressure sales techniques to force people in buying alarms have been operating in Huntingdonshire.
Cambridgeshire police and the county’s trading standards have issued a warning and advice to residents following concerns about a security company offering alarm systems in the area.
Officers said in some cases the person has refused to give company details and falsely claimed to be connected to the police.
Two recent reports were from residents in Ellington, although other incidents may not have been reported.
The sales techniques being used include:
You may also want to watch:
Offering a system for free or discounted following a call to the manager.
Pressure to sign up straight away in order to get a good deal.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 5 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 6 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 All UK adults to be offered Covid vaccine by September, says Government
- 10 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
Remaining in a person’s home for two to three hours in order to wear them down.
Crime reduction officer Rachel Carr said: “If, during a visit to your property, a trader refuses to leave, contact the police immediately and make a note of the time of the request and the time the trader leaves.
“Initial costs outlined are misleading and do not reflect the true cost of owning a system, when yearly maintenance and monitoring are included.
“When buying an alarm system it is always advisable to get at least three quotes, and look for companies that are accredited by NSI (National Security Inspectorate) or SSIAB (Security Systems & Alarm Inspection Board).
“If you have been contacted by the company and feel concerned contact the police or Cambridgeshire Trading Standards for assistance.”
INFORMATION: Contact police on 0345 4564564, or trading standards on 08454 040506.