High pressure salesmen operating in Cambs, police warn
COLD calling salesmen who use high pressure sales techniques to force people in buying alarms have been operating in Huntingdonshire.
Cambridgeshire police and the county’s trading standards have issued a warning and advice to residents following concerns about a security company offering alarm systems in the area.
Officers said in some cases the person has refused to give company details and falsely claimed to be connected to the police.
Two recent reports were from residents in Ellington, although other incidents may not have been reported.
The sales techniques being used include:
Offering a system for free or discounted following a call to the manager.
Pressure to sign up straight away in order to get a good deal.
- 1 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 2 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 3 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 6 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 7 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 8 Woman dies in crash on London Road in St Ives
- 9 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 10 Delight as Huntingdon primary school is praised by Ofsted inspectors
Remaining in a person’s home for two to three hours in order to wear them down.
Crime reduction officer Rachel Carr said: “If, during a visit to your property, a trader refuses to leave, contact the police immediately and make a note of the time of the request and the time the trader leaves.
“Initial costs outlined are misleading and do not reflect the true cost of owning a system, when yearly maintenance and monitoring are included.
“When buying an alarm system it is always advisable to get at least three quotes, and look for companies that are accredited by NSI (National Security Inspectorate) or SSIAB (Security Systems & Alarm Inspection Board).
“If you have been contacted by the company and feel concerned contact the police or Cambridgeshire Trading Standards for assistance.”
INFORMATION: Contact police on 0345 4564564, or trading standards on 08454 040506.