Hemingford Grey pub named the best in the country
A PUB in Hemingford Grey is celebrating after being crowned the best in the country.
THE Cock pub in Hemingford Grey is crowing after being crowned the best in the country.
The Cock has been named the Good Pub Guide’s Pub of the Year 2013 after getting rave reviews from customers.
The bible for pub-goers across the country said: “The Cock offers the best for all its customers - an outright winner.”
As well as taking the top honour, The Cock was named the best Dining Pub in Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
The pub, on High Street, is owned by business partners Oliver Thain and Richard Bradley and run by general manager Tim Prior. Will Findlay is the head chef.
Mr Thain said: “We’re well chuffed!
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
“I think it’s down to a combination of three things: service, consistently good food and the standards of the building. We try very hard and we’re always talking about how we can do things better.”
Mr Thain and Mr Bradley, who bought the pub 11 years ago, now run Cambscuisine – a group of five restaurants and a catering business.
They have transformed The Cock from a village “boozer” to a destination pub that pulls people in from the surrounding area.
An extract from The Good Pub Guide 2013 says of the Huntingdonshire pub: “‘After each visit, we start planning the next one’ one of our readers tells us. This well run, pretty pub is just the sort of place that customers do return to as it manages to appeal to both drinkers and diners. They’ve kept the traditional public bar for drinkers only, with an open wood-burning stove on the raised hearth, four interesting ales on hand pump, 17 wines by the glass and local farm cider. In marked contrast, the stylishly simple, spotless restaurant serves delicious food, using fresh, seasonal produce.”
INFORMATION: The Cock, High Street, Hemingford Grey. Phone 01480 463609 Website: www.thecockhemingford.co.uk