Hemingford elderly man jailed for sexually abusing young girl
AN 81-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for sexually abusing a young girl.
Peterborough Crown Court was told that Geoffrey Bowd, of Daintree Way, Hemingford Grey, took every opportunity to abuse the girl starting when she was eight and continuing until she was 13.
Claire Matthews, prosecuting, said that he had “grossly breached a position of trust”.
“As a man in his later years, Bowd should have known better,” she added.
In mitigation Tim Brown told the court: “Until his late 70s and this incident, Bowd had an admirable and an enviable record that has now crashed and burned.”
You may also want to watch:
Bowd was convicted of four counts of sexual assault of a child under 13 and four counts of sexual activity with a child under 16 last Thursday (March 8) following a four-day trial.
The former concrete worker was sentenced for three and a half years in prison.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
Judge Sean Enright said: “I don’t think it’s right that he will end his days in prison so the sentence will reflect that.”
Det Con Brian Dilloway told The Hunts Post outside the court: “The family have been traumatised by the investigation that lasted six months but are overjoyed by the result and that it is all over.”