Great Staughton set to regain its post office
GREAT Staughton will regain its post office next month - at least for a year-long trial period.
The plan to reopen and relocate the service to Blades Motorcycles in the The Highway was first put to villagers during a consultation in February of this year. The original branch closed in January 2010 for what Post Office Ltd described as “operational reasons”. The company said it had always been its intention to continue to provide a post office service in the village and had suggested, if the relocation found support, it would open in the spring.
However, the long wait looks to be over as the new post office is scheduled to open on Friday, October 7.
Spokesman Philippa Newey said: “Our priority has always been to restore Post Office services to the local community in the longer term. The re-opening and relocation of Great Staughton post office as a post office local service allows us to do this. Customers will benefit from a new, open-plan serving counter providing post office products and services as well as retail transactions. The premises will also have level access with a wide door.”
She added that there would be a hearing loop and space for a wheelchair as well as extended opening hours.
You may also want to watch:
Post Office Ltd added: “We are trialling this new project over the next 12 months. During this time we will be monitoring the situation to ascertain if this service meets the needs of the community and would provide a commercially viable alternative to the way our services are currently offered. The success of this trial is, to a great extent, reliant on customers using this service on a regular basis.”
INFORMATION: Openign hours will be 9am until 5pm Monday to Saturday, and 10am until 4pm on Sunday.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers